Dead Poets Society (A Movie Review)



"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion."


          The first time I saw this movie, I was bored out of my mind. Granted, it garnered top reviews, but I can’t bring myself to fully appreciate it. I didn’t even fully understand the plot ----- probably because my copy of the film had no subtitles. Then come Lit 3 class with the full subtitle, beat per beat. I adored it. I realized that the beauty of this film was not in the flashy set or a complicated plot. All it took was the dialogue: the ever poetic and heartfelt script. Only a handful could pull that off. Another thing I learned was the variety of the authors and poems mentioned in the film. Some I was already familiar of (The Congo, The Road Not Taken, and O Captain My Captain; to name a few). But I am glad that the film inspired me to read on the other authors like Lord Byron and Abraham Cowley. The last new thing that I could mention would be how the creators of the film went on to let the said “club” or Dead Poets Society to be kept in secrecy. I know it could be quite a cliché already, but for me, it’s a bit pretentious how something innocent and simple as a group of students chanting around poetry would be adamantly illegal. I was surprised the director stuck through it.
          On the other hand, I find the character of Mr. Keating very remarkable. Not only was his teaching methods unorthodox and refreshing, but it was something more than that. He had a heart of gold. His genuine kindness and strength was so underrated, yet he didn’t care. His passion for life and to actually touch the soul of others was so pure. What is even more remarkable is the thought that these kind of people would be almost impossible to find these days. Indeed, a diamond in the rough. Then, this line: Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for." I think this would be my adage now.
          This movie spoke to me in so many levels, but one stood out: The never – ending battle between dreams and passion. Even I had to fight this. “Which is greater?” More so, “Are the two very different concepts and if so, how do we appease them?” Even the soft – spirited Neil Perry chose death over a life to be dictated by his father. Even I am still stuck in this limbo. Will you choose the practicality that this world calls for, or will you take that leap of faith? Are you willing to take that blinded walk down a marble aisle, or will you prance along the asphalt with a full heart?
          Ambitions ----- whether childhood dreams, dreams we built through time or the dreams others had for us, are the ones that kept us going. Passion, however, is why we kept on. Passion wins.




Comments

Popular Posts